Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memorial Day Thoughts...

So I've had the great opportunity this weekend to relax and be SUPER productive! Amazing, how that works out...ANYWAY...but since this has been a quiet weekend, I've had a great opportunity to think and ponder a lot about, well, a lot of things. First off: my weekendhas been full of watching, "Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman" (DQ). For my birthday present, I bought myself the complete series set...obsessed?...just a little bit. My good friends and I during my freshman-junior year of college would get together and watch episodes together and bond. :) One year, we were SO consistent with it, that we would have weekly, if not daily, times where we would watch it. We decided to call them, "Sully's Nights In." Me, being the ever-so bright person and dyslexic at times person,said, "Hey, let's call them S.N.I. nights...SINnights!" (Oh my dyslexic brain at its finest ;)...but the name stuck...so we would call them sin nights. One might say that we were a little ridiculous or purely evil, especially at church when we would ask each other if we wanted to sin that night and people would look at us weirdly...probably wasn't the wisest thing to say, but I digress...
Why do I love DQ? It could be because of my small ounce of feminist spirit that loves to see it when women prove to themselves that they can do anything, no matter what others say. It could be because of my love for Sully (some Twilight girls would hate me for saying this, but Sully could TOTALLY take Edward...I mean really? A vampire vs. rugged mountain man...no comparison). But let's get serious here...so my lo
ve for DQ began when I was a little girl and would go over to my best friend's house, who lived next door, and we would watch it with her family, every Saturday night. Her parents are like my second parents and we would just have a blast. I'm so grateful for family...not only my family, but people in my life who have become like family!

Secondly...I've been thinking a lot about Memorial Day and how grateful I am for war heroes and veterans. I love America!! God Bless America!! I am so grateful to live in a country where I have the right to live and have religious freedom. This country was divinely founded and established.

I love the Constitution. I truly believe that it was inspired by God. I pray that as Americans, we can remember the Constitution and what it says. I think too many times, we forget about it and the rights that it gives us. We are blessed and I feel at times that we take it for granted. At least, I do. So I am grateful for my ancestors who fought for my freedom and for the freedom of my family. I've been thinking a lot lately about my grandpa who served in WWII. He didn't have the easiest of jobs, not that any military service is easy. He was an ambulance driver and after a battle, he was the one that needed to pick up the battle remains. I can't imagine what that would do to a person. It's no wonder to me that for a long time he didn't believe in God, he couldn't imagine why God would allow those things to happen. But in time, he came to know that God does live and that He loves us and that He loved him.

So...not wanting this to be a novel, although it is, I just want to thank our military for their service and for our veterans and let them know that I appreciate it. God Bless America! We are so fortunate...and truly God Bless the World! We all need it.

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!

EM

2 comments:

  1. There are countless reasons why I love Dr. Quinn too! And as much as I love Edward, I also agree with you; Sully can take on Edward any day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I miss getting to watch that show wit y'all! Too fun to reminisce! Hope you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete