Thursday, May 5, 2011

Introduction to Emmanzaa...

First off, I'd like to attribute my boss and friends at the BYU Law School for the inspiration of this idea to start off my new stage in life and helping me create Emmanzaa. Here's how it went down: Today I was at my internship at the law school and my boss asked me when my birthday was. I said that it was next Wednesday on May 11th and that I was turning 25. She asked me what I was going to do for my birthday, and I was like, "Go to work" (Lame, I know, but I'm not really into birthdays...well...retract that...I'm not that into MY birthday.) I LOVE parties, but when I'm the center of them, I tend to be a little bit more reserved, now you're probably thinking, "Emily...reserved?" believe me, I like the spotlight, I'm the youngest child, but when it comes to events of my life, I get kind of shy...ANYWAY...back to the point.

So my co-workers were like, "25 is a big deal!" "It's a quarter of a century old!" and then one reminded me that now when I round up my age, it's 30 (thanks, Heidi ;) )...so we came up with this idea of celebrating my birthday in a fun way. We thought of holidays and someone mentioned, Kwanzaa and that I should mirror my celebration after that. Out of respect of my African-American friends, I hope that you don't think this is sacrilegious in anyway (I LOVE YOU!). So I decided to take my own little twist of the holiday and the core principles of it. Part of Kwanzaa is to give gifts to people for a week, so I decided that is what I was going to do. So today, I've decided to do an act of service or give a gift to someone (who I know or not) for a week to show my appreciation for my 25 years of life and end the celebration on midnight after my birthday (hence a week of giving gifts)...HAPPY EMMANZAA! :) Each day, I'm going to report how my day went and what I learned and heck, why not, then on my birthday, I'll throw a party for my friends! :)

I've been thinking about starting a new blog and so I thought that this would be a good reason to start one to mark this new phase of my life as a 25-year-old college graduate.

Anyway...we'll see how this goes and if anyone reads this...way to be and I hope I'm not TOO boring (no guarantees ;) ).

LOTS OF LOVE LOVE LOVE!!

EM

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like great idea! It will be fun to read about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good idea! love it!
    p.s. - i thought you were going to say "out of respect for my african-american heritage" haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rachel...I almost did something like that...I mean, my black friends at Rogers always said I was the whitest black girl they knew... :)

    ReplyDelete